I’ve got FOOTBALL on the brain as college games (Go Jackets!) are in full swing and my girls only NFL “Fantasy Football – Lipstick League” enters it’s 4th week… and nothing compliments a good game better than some great food, like this easy zucchini fries recipe.
I’m planning a big tailgate with friends for the Georgia Tech vs. Clemson game on November 15th, and I’ve started experimenting with fun easy recipes I can mix into the standard burger & dogs menu. I think these baked easy zucchini fries are a great option (especially if you want to switch it up from standard ‘ol french fries).
What You’ll Need:
- 2 zucchini
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (the fresher the better!)
- ¼ cup low-fat milk (or almond milk)
- ¼ cup Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Olive Oil
- Large baking sheet
How To Make It:
- Preheat the oven to 425º F
- Prep a large baking sheet with a light coat of olive oil rubbed on it to prevent the zucchini from sticking to the pan (cooking spray works fine too)
- Rinse the zucchini
- Longways (I know, it’s the least technical word I could use here)… slice the zucchini into 8 sticks each
- Whisk the milk & egg in a bowl until mixed
- In a separate bowl, combine: breadcrumbs, cheese, Italian seasoning, & garlic powder
- Dip the zucchini strips into the milk/egg mixture thoroughly
- Roll each zucchini strip in the breadcrumb mixture until completely covered
- Lay the zucchini strips along the baking sheet so they are not touching
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until golden brown
- Serve & enjoy!
Be careful not to cut the sticks too thick though, otherwise you’ll end up with a soggy mush in the middle when you bite into them.[/disclaim]
So even if you’re not a big fan of my beloved alma mater, GA Tech, it doesn’t really matter… because if you’re a big fan of finger foods, this smart alternative to french fries is your key to wowing everyone with a healthier and delicious game time snack!
Let me know what you think next time you serve up these baked zucchini fries! I would love to hear about your easy or healthy game day recipes – don’t forget to share them with us in the comments below!